About Our Practice: Lumina Optometry has been faithfully serving Marin and the Bay Area since 1928. The doctors and staff are amongst the most knowledgeable and caring professionals that you will find anywhere. You’ll get small town attention with big city know how, in a modern, relaxed environment.
Come see us, and we'll help you see the world. Dr. Jeffrey D. Salman is a recent graduate of the U.C. Berkeley School of Optometry glaucoma certification course. He is now able to diagnose and treat patients with glaucoma using state of the art equipment (Optical Coherence Tomography or "OCT" for short). With this technology we are now able to diagnose many ocular conditions early on, including but not limited to: glaucoma, macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy.
About Dr. Salman He is an active member of the Corte Madera Lions Club (and 2016 Lion of the Year award winner). Hoping to help students see their best, he spearheaded the SPOT vision testing program for the Larkspur-Corte Madera School District. Alongside volunteers and school nurses, over 1,500 children have been screened in 2016-2017 with plans of expanding into additional schools in future school years.
Dr. Jeffrey D. Salman grew up in Boulder, Colorado and attended Colorado State University for his undergraduate and UC Berkeley School of Optometry for his graduate training.
Upon graduating from Cal, Dr. Salman joined the US Air Force and was an active duty optometrist at David Grant Medical Center at Travis Air Force Base. During that time, Dr. Salman became the Director of Contact Lens Clinics as well as an adjunct clinical professor in charge of the student training program at the UC Berkeley School of Optometry, the Southern California School of Optometry, and the Pacific University School of Optometry.
After completing 6 years of active duty, Dr. Salman joined the Air Force Reserves where he just finished his 20th year. He is currently a LtCol in the reserves and is the Chief of Optometry Services for the 349th Aerospace Medicine Squadron.
Dr. Salman worked for the Northern California Veterans Administration for nearly 8 years at the Oakland and Martinez facilities, leaving the VA in 2015 to pursue private practice full-time. While at the VA, he worked side by side with some of the bay area's leading retina and glaucoma specialists.
Dr. Salman became a partner in the practice here in San Anselmo on Jan 1st, 1998 and took over the practice on Jan 1st, 2013, renaming the practice "Lumina Optometry".
We are VSP and Medicare in-network providers!
* Comprehensive Eye Examination: We perform a complete eye examination to determine visual acuity, eye muscle coordination, and ocular health status. As a part of this exam we will determine whether or not you need glasses and will help you figure out which type of lenses (single vision, bifocal, progressive multifocal, occupational/computer lenses) would most benefit you with your activities. We provide dialated examinations so that we can carefully check for eye diseases such as glaucoma, cataracts and macular degeneration. Additionally, every eye exam includes a screening automated visual field analysis. This test helps to rule out any vision loss (blind spots) that may go undetected by simply measuring vision on the eye chart.
We are stroller and wheelchair friendly - we are very comfortable with seeing pediatric as well as geriatric patients.
* Pediatric Vision Care: We screen for common eye problems that arise during childhood including:
- Amblyopia (Lazy Eye)
- Strabismus (Crossed Eyes)
- Focussing and convergence/binocular vision problems
- Eye related reading difficulties
* Contact Lens Fitting: We are experts at fitting all types of contact lenses (soft disposable, and rigid gas permeable lenses). We also take pride in our ability to fit the more challenging eyes that may have dry eye, corneal disease, high astigmatism or scarring of the cornea from a prior injury.
* Pre and Post Refractive Surgery Management: We proudly partner with UC Berkeley Refractive Surgery Center as well as the Pacific Vision Institute to facilitate refractive surgery referals and post-operative management.
* Expert Frame Styling: Here at Lumina, you will find a relaxed environment where you are able to browse on your own (or with a friend or family member) with no high pressure sales tactics. If you would like a bit more guidance, we are more than happy to assist you in finding the best frame for not only your prescription, but your face. Be forewarned, we are extremely honest!